The Brushmakers’ Arms

The Brushmakers’ Arms, Oulton, Staffordshire ST15 8UW

Redbrick corner pub with a slightly urban feel, although in a quiet, off-the-beaten-track village near Stone. The heart of the pub is the bar, with quarry-tiled floor, dartboard and extensive bench seating. There’s also a small, cosy lounge right in the corner. Serves a couple of Thwaites beers plus one guest, but no food. A true classic of old-school pubs. Note the scarecrow with plastic barrel propped up against the wall. The Wheatsheaf a couple of doors down the road is now closed.

5 comments:

  1. Martin, Cambridge8 July 2013 at 19:45

    Good choice. There's a fair few good traditional pubs round here, isn't there. I'm sure you've mentioned the pub in Dayhills and the nearby one in Milwich is also a belter. Manchester folk seem to think Stoke is a bit of a dump (see the Man City forum) but the pubs are as good as anywhere except Stockport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although there have been a number of closures, this area still does seem to support some proper country pubs of the kind that has largely vanished from Cheshire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks rather enticing and worth a visit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, its great to hear that people still enjoy traditional pubs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Grandad John Malpas and My Grandmother Mary Ellen Malpas had this Pub and My Mother Winifred Mary Malpas was Born there on the 29th December 1907 ,Grandads Sisters Sally and Mary lived in Abbey Cottage just further down the Village and My Great Grandmother was once the Post Mistress Jane Malpas .I visited the Pub and the Area with My Husband and My Sister and the Pub looked wonderful and was still popular ,I am sorry to read that the Wheatsheaf has closed ,I enjoyed a Meal there lst Time I was in Oulton and It was a pleasant experience ,Oulton though much has changed is still a lovely peaceful place to visit .

    ReplyDelete